Thursday, April 8, 2021

Vibrant pink peach & sowing cold hardy crops

The cold nights brightened the peach tree blooms. The petals were a light pink, turned fuchsia. These magnificent blooms are hanging on by a thread, as the limb has broken off almost completely from the tree.



On this Wednesday of early April, it was almost 90 degrees here in Kentucky. For this time of year it was quite hot. I took advantage of the pretty and sowed more Spinach seed, radish, turnip, rutabaga, lettuce, arugula, kale, leeks, parsley, basil, beets, and collard seed! I planted the seeds across 4 garden beds. I have more garden beds to plant in, but I'm not sure what to sow or transplant in those yet.





Here are turnip plants flowering, as they turn into Spring. They grew throughout the fall and winter months, mostly recoiling, but making a come back in these warm days. 

Other plants flowering in the garden are kale and soon to be cilantro, swiss chard, arugula and radish, as these plants have also are grown throughout the fall and winter months. I love when veggie plants flower, because that means they will go to seed and I can collect the seed for future sowing!...And, as we know, tending to a garden is to believe in a future...

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy to find your blog. We live in Northern Michigan and I personally eat plant-based. I want to live somewhere a bit warmer, but for now I'm hoping to learn from your blog and adapt to a colder climate.

    ReplyDelete