Friday, September 20, 2013

Time to start saving seeds (& dehydrating/storing garden harvests for winter)


The past two months have kept me busy, replanting lettuce (for Fall) and harvesting, storing and dehydrating excess food. My tomato garden produced over 200 pounds of fruit this year so my partner and I have been feasting on large quantities of tomatoes. Yet, we couldn't eat them all, some went to the compost and some tomatoes ended up getting canned and dehydrated.

dehydrating tomatoes with basil from the garden
tomatoes ready to be eaten fresh or dehydrated




















Also, we have been consistently harvesting apples for the past month. Unfortunately, they're hardly fit to eat in their natural state, as they're small and the taste is tart; so we found it best to dehydrate them instead.  So far we have accumulated 25 Ziploc bags of our dehydrated apples (including the apples that my Grandparent's dehydrated for us).


For now the tomatoes and apples are what we have chosen to dehydrate.

Considering we grew squash (yellow, zucchini, butternut, and pumpkin), cucumbers, lettuce, dill, basil, broccoli, beans, peppers, and tomatoes -- I have been saving seeds from the best quality from each. I have already saved seed from the squash varieties as well as herbs, beans and broccoli, and tomatoes. I have more seed saving to do with the lettuce and peppers.

No comments:

Post a Comment