Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Layout of 2015 Spring, Summer & Fall Garden using polyculture, pest prevention, & companion planting

A few days ago I mentioned in the post "Seeds I bought for 2015 Garden year", I had bought 60 varieties of seeds from Vegan seeds company, as well as Luffa seeds, Goji berry seeds, and Dinosaur seeds. 
With the seeds I purchased, I divided up the Seeds for Spring & fall and the Seeds for Summer. Then I made a layout of where I want these seeds planted. So with my sunniest garden I will be planting cold crops in the Spring and Fall, and plant cold crops in my shady garden in the Summer. And in the summer, I will plant heat/sun loving crops in my sunny garden. 

I have three large gardens that span over 50 feet. My other gardens include raised beds, compost heaps, fruit trees and bushes, and patches where I have tilled around the yard. I'll only be focusing on the Layouts of 2 of the 3 Main Gardens. Last year I grew 9 rows of Corn, 4 rows of beans, and 9 rows of Melons in my third Main garden, but I plan to do something different in 2015. As for the other two garden layouts I'm showing you below, I may make alterations, because what I grow will depend how much of each seed can be squeezed into the gardens. 
In the first photo, I show you my first Garden which is made up of rows of Hugelkultur mounds. This garden gets more sunlight year round compared to my other two gardens. This is where I grow tomatoes and peppers and sun loving fruits. In the Spring and Fall, this garden is where I will grow cold tolerant crops. This garden will focus on growing a variety of Herbs, Root crops, melons, Tomatoes, and Peppers, In the shady spots of this garden, I will place the Broccoli, cabbage, collards, and lettuce. 
You may notice where I have grown the Broccoli, Cabbage, Collards, and Brussels, I have also decided to plant herbs that will prevent pests, such as Sage, Chives, Rosemary, Garlic, Cilantro, Lavender, Basil, and onion. This polyculture design you see in the first photo creates a Unique look to a variety of plants which will prevent many pests from eating your food while attracting 
Also, keep in mind companion plants such as Tomato and Basil which grow well together. 


The second photo shows you Garden 2 of 3. This is my Grandparents' backyard that receives partial sun. This garden is perfect for growing Shade and cold crops in the Summer. Here I grow potatoes, corn, beans, and Squash. I will be using the Three Sisters method for the Corn, beans, and squash and try to keep them away from the potato garden. Apparently growing potatoes near squash inhibits growth. 


No comments:

Post a Comment