Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Sowing greens & root crops in August for Fall-Winter harvest

Last Wednesday through Friday, the 5th-7th of August, were good transplanting days, and also good days for planting root crops. I figured since it was time to sow greens as well, I planted greens in containers, such as Arugula, Endive, and Lettuce. I sowed pinto beans in the Hugelkultur beds.

Greens growing in containers

On the 7th, I transplanted some fruit trees from compost piles, Papaya and unidentified fruit tree were transplanted to containers. That day, I also sowed Spinach, Radish, Lettuce, Carrot, Arugula, and Peas in the Hugel beds. I planted carrot and radish seed around the Tomato plants because root crops are low feeders, and planted after a heavy feeder like Tomatoes, they will grow sufficient in relatively poor soil. I explain this more in my Crop rotation post. With the tiny amount of rain water I provided for them, the Arugula and radish and other seedlings, came up within two days.

Papaya growing in pots
According to the Farmer's Almanac, the 8th and 9th of August were bad days to plant seeds, but today and tomorrow (10th-11th) are good days to sow root crops. Yesterday, I planted some root crops, carrots and radishes, along with Spinach, Arugula, Lettuce, and Peas in the Hugel beds. I definitely wanted to get a variety of seeds out yesterday because there was a chance of rain.
Luckily it did rain a bit last night, so the seeds I planted will germinate and sprout up by Wednesday. That means, within the following three weeks, I will be harvesting salad greens, and I will do so up until the end of October.
 

If I get a chance today, I will sow additional Endive, Spinach, Arugula, and Lettuce, and some carrots and radish in containers.

No comments:

Post a Comment