Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Spring harvest & Frost protection for Food Forest

Before the frosty nights, I was sure to pick some garden greens and radishes. There was a lot of arugula so the salad was spicy eith the radishes.

During this pandemic, I am delivering some free garden food to the elders in my life as well.


As you may know, I'm here in zone 6-7 where it continues to have nights of frost up until May. I used towels, throw blankets, thin quilts and bedsheets, potato grow bags, tent covers, and tree covers, and tobacco canvas. You name it, I used it! I wanted to protect the many fruiting trees and bushes in the food forest. Besides the trees, I covered the 2 grapes, 10 blueberry bushes, 3 goji berries, 2 raspberries.

Grapes
 In the photo below, you can spot my dog rolling on her back and kicking the air.

Alberta peaches


Nectarines 



pear minimally covered

Pear

Plum and cherries 

Figs, cherry, and plum

Blueberries, goji, raspberries 

With this frost, I worry about the fruit trees and their fruits. I covered the majority of the fruiting bushes but barely covered the large fruit trees. I didnt cover the Tulip garden and I saw this morning that the petals have fallen, so they didn't make it. I ran out of covers for them plus anything weighing the tulips down would probably break them.

There's 3 figs, 3 peaches, 1 mulberry, 2 nectarines, 2 cherries, 2 plums, 2 pears, that are loaded with tiny fruits. I hope they survived the 28 degree night. I woke up this morning and there is frost blanketing the landscape. 

Pear fruits


Cherry fruits

Flowering aronia, which I ran out of covers to protect

Dogwood flowering

Cold April sunset

No comments:

Post a Comment