Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Houseplants on a warm Autumn evening

Houseplants make you feel like it's a refreshing summer in your home year round when you live in dreary cold climates in winter.

Over the last 7 years, I have collected many houseplants. Of all of the those, probably 90% of them have died. I can say that the philodendrons, snake plants, dracanea and aloe have been with me for over 3 years now, maybe longer. I try to only keep small plants so that lifting on plants and taking them in and out of my apartment is not so strenuous. 

Below, is my current collection of houseplants.  



This year, I adopted new houseplants that I've never had the experience growing before. These succulents were a housewarming gift to me, growing in a wide bowl. I decided to re-pot the succulents in individual containers. Today, I picked up some garden pot trays to place underneath each potted plant as well.


In the above picture, I have my snake plant and dracaena which are several years old, maybe 4 years. In the middle, I have a purple tropical plant that I dug up while I was in Florida back in June. This plant is one that grows quick, but the newest member of the plant family is the monstera that grows by the day! There is a new leaf every other week it seems.


These are the regular tasks in fall for houseplants: new or additional soil, new pot, fertilize, clean, wipe down, organize, etc.


These October nights are chilly. I have been keeping the houseplants inside at night and taking them out during the day. Tonight the forecast predicts 60 degrees F, so I don't worry about them staying out. Friday night, on the other hand, it will be 37 degrees, and that is nearly freezing temperatures--not what we would call a "killing frost", but freezing all the same. 

I have many plants growing in the fall gardens, as I showed you in the last post. I have my turnip bed, radish bed, basil, cilantro, flowers, broccoli, cauliflower and kale. I will have to cover these plants! I am hauling a load of mulch Saturday to go onto these plants and my fruit orchard. 

This past week, I have actually harvested some radishes and radish greens and cilantro, pictured gelow.

At the apartment, I have jalapenos and tomatoes that I will either cover on my patio or bring in to protect from the freezing night. 




As always, I will keep you all posted of the garden tasks, fall garden, and other Autumn joys.

No comments:

Post a Comment