Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Starting veggies indoors & making rock gardens

Last week I started cabbages, cauliflower, collards, and red lettuce. Once they sprouted, I have kept them in the greenhouse during the day, then I bring them in at night with a light on them for a couple of hours. I used a seed starting mix for these plants, then I will transplant them in one of my gardens in March.


Come March, hopefully I'll have much of my main garden mulched so i can directly sew early growing peas, radishes, and lettuces. By this time, many of the early flowering plants will be up, as I already see the daffodils, hyacinths, and tulips poking through the soil. The crocuses of course are blooming since they're a very early blooming flower.



In a couple of days, I'm going to start onion and carrots indoors as well with a tray filled with potting soil. Once they get established, I'll put them out in April.

In my last post, I forgot to show you the rock gardens by placing rock around fruit trees and fruit bushes. I have been collecting rock from the woods and hauling them to the garden with a wheel barrow. In addition I have been placing rock over paths in the garden because the paths are getting swampy as this winter has been very wet.




Rocks around 4 of the peach and nectarine trees


Rocks around 10 of the blueberry plants & goji berries

No comments:

Post a Comment