Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Sad days but the gardens are being prepped


For weeks, I've been going up in the woods collecting rocks, leaves, and logs, for the garden but I feel that's coming to an end. When I woke up today I saw the property owner using a bobcat to make paths in the woods so they can sell the property. I'm worried I won't be able to go in the woods anymore, the woods that means so much to me. The woods behind my house is the place I go to be alone, to think, to cry, to sing, to hike, to meditate and enjoy nature. We'll see what happens... I wish I can buy it but I don't have $200,000 to buy land just to say that I own it, nobody owns land when land owns itself.

I was collecting the rocks though to start making a cob house for free, and now my dream is crushed. It's the mounting sadness of everything, though...my cat just died. I've also been dealing with drastic home repair efforts and loneliness, crippling depression. I never really talk about myself on this blog because the focus is on the garden, but it's simply something I can't hide when the woods that gives me life is being sold out from under me...Maybe I should write a book about it (haha.)

On a lighter note, I took more pictures of the Tulip Garden because the Tulips are blooming almost everyday. There's at least one to tulip that blooms each day.









Yesterday was 80 degrees here, so I took advantage of the weather, and I cleaned the garden beds, then added soil. Additionally, I started making the hoop house that you see beside the two garden beds.

Usually I grow tomatoes in this spot, but the summer I'm going to plant melon and pumpkin seed here. A couple months back, I shoveled in compost so the soil here is Rich and will be perfect for melons and pumpkins.


3 comments:

  1. Hi there!

    Just wanted to leave a comment offering my gratitude for this wonderful blog you've created. I often find myself on here (at work) as I find it inspiring to see someone "living the dream" in terms of self-sufficiency within a vegan context. So for that, many thanks for all the work your doing and the example your setting!

    That's such a shame to hear about your cat, and the unfortunate circumstance of the land behind being sold. Who knows, maybe any potential new "owner" would be sympathetic and agree to you using it as you have been?

    On another topic, it occured to me to suggest the idea of getting your blog listed on the Vegan Organic Network's website? They are a UK based charity dealing with what the name suggests. They have a directory for international non-accredited growers: http://veganorganic.net/producer-directory/international-directory/

    I know it's for commercial type food production, but hey maybe they'll still put a link to your blog on the site or in there magazine? Heck, you could use some of your blogposts as submissions for them? There always asking for writers to submit.

    Forgive me if my suggestions are out of place, or are nothing you haven't already considered. I just think this blog's quite the treasure trove for hints & tips.

    Many thanks again and keep it up!

    Zach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness, thank you so much for the support and info! I'll look into it, thanks again Zach

      Delete
    2. Your welcome! :-)

      Delete