Sunday, April 1, 2018

Wild Spring onion soup & spring rolls recipe

I haven't done a recipe post in a long time, but these are two healthy and hearty recipes that are low cost and fast to make.

It's Spring time, and there are wild green onions all over the yard and garden. I carefully choose the onions that are safe from traces of animal, then with a spoon I dig up the whole onion including the roots. Then I soak the onions in water for 5 minutes to thoroughly clean them. Afterwards, I cut the roots and skin the onions, then finely chop.

I use the bulb and most of the green stem in the soup and the green tops as a garnish. Then while the water is boiling, add wheat or rice noodles with the onions, salt, garlic powder, and nutritional yeast. If you're using udon, ramen, rice, or korean wheat noodles, then the soup will only take 5 minutes. Here I'm using Sempio brand wheat noodles that cook within 5 minutes. Ramen noodles are not healthy so I don't recommend using them.

Wild spring onion soup (vegan)

Handful of noodles
2 cups of water, boiled
3 wild green onions, chopped
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/4 tsp garlic powder and salt
Garnish with the chopped green onions tops and spring roll filling





























Spring roll filling (vegan)

Spring roll wraps
Spiralized zucchini
Spiralized carrot
Soy sauce
Lettuce

First boil water to dip the wrappers one by one. Then dip each in cold water before adding the filling. For the filling, spiralize zucchini and carrots and fry them in a skillet with a little oil and soy sauce. You can add any other veggies here or greens like kale, and chop the veggies any way you prefer. Dip each wrapper in the hot then cold water and lay flat. Add the filling then lettuce and roll. The soy sauce I used is the healthy alternative, and the dipping sauce I used was spicy peanut.


No comments:

Post a Comment