Thursday, July 23, 2020

Mushroom huntin, berry pickin & flower garden lovin


Today, I wondered into the garden. The tomatoes are my height, the cushaw and cucumber plants will be growing passed my head as they continue to climb the fencing. The corn is not as tall as most corn this time of the year, but for as late as I planted the corn, it's impressively tall.

I stood here proudly by rows of tomatoes in the garden.


Here are some snapshots of the garden progress. I picked my first cucumber today. Those should be coming on more prolific as the tomaotes will soon.


Cucumbers with tobacco sticks tied

Patches of different corn, tomatoes and corn growing

Ash exploring the garden for fruits, and giving us a wave.

Cushaw and cucumber growing on fence

Rows of corn growing alongside cushaw, cucumbers, and tomatoes 

More rows of corn 

My grandpa said that he has some cushaw fruits that are growing so it should be time for the rest of the rows of cushaw plants to start producing.

worms eye view of cushaw and cucumbers

Sunday was my only free day, so I hoed in rows of seed to replace the bean seeds I had planted. There were some bean plants that had come up, but not enough to make a big mess for canning. The seeds I planted in their place was 7 top Turnip, Purple top white globe turnip, early Jersey wakefield cabbage, bloomsdale spinach, black seeded Simpson lettuce, and buttercrunch lettuce.

Sowed seeds of turnip, lettuce, cabbage, etc
Here is another patch of tomatoes, growing alongside some beautiful begonias and coleus flowers that are hogging all of the attention.

Another patch of tomatoes with flowers

Below are the flowers working the runway this fashion week. Some flowers are my grandma's garden that I planted, like the gladiolus, and the whimsical little wildflower garden is my own that I planted.












Last week when I had a day off, I went mushroom hunting for chanterelles. I went to a spot where I hadn't been in almost a decade. But lo and behold, there they are, still growing in the same spots! I fried them up and ate them over rice. 




Here are other pickins from the garden, potatoes, berries, and jalapenos.



I have directly composted with fresh food scraps around the figs trees and grape plants. I have two Chicago hardy fig trees full of fruits and I hope the compost will make the get big fast, as well as the grape vines producing their fruits. But, we desperately need rain for them to produce juicy goodness, as well!






No comments:

Post a Comment