Friday, August 14, 2020

Flowers and hopeful garden prospects


In the picture above, I have containers and pots of tomato plants, basil, peppers and seedlings. Additionally, I sowed cauliflower and cabbage in seed cells at the apartment. Some broccoli germinated and are seedlings from the last attempt at sowing fall crops. I have been fertilizing them,  the pepper plants and the tomaotes with coffee grounds from Ashley's many pots of coffee. 

Not much is growing in the gardens, besides flowers. There's been attempts to grow fall crops but I have failed all of those attempts thus far. Last week, I sowed turnip, radish, and carrot seed in the garden beds. I sowed the seed in between the Coxcomb flowers. I put up fencing to keep my cats out. And, this will be my last attempt at growing fall crops. 

Below are the hibiscus and coombs growing in my garden. 



Here are some cucumbers I harvested. The summer garden harvests have been lacking but I'm hopeful for a turnaround in all the tomaot plants I have planted. At least I may be able to can them for sauces or soups. 


In between the Coxcomb plants, I have sowed carrot seed. In the garden bed beside this, I sowed radish seed. The radish has germinated and are growing just fine! We shall see if I will have an abundance of radish like I did in the spring. Across from these two Garden beds, I also sowed turnip seed. I didn't try to sow them oh-so-perfect because they were old seeds, but I hope they grow and produce! 


I think a lot of my garden issues this year have been attributed to planting old seed. Seeds are really only viable within 1 to 2 years. But I have a bad habit of accumulating lots of seed overtime because I buy in bulk or people gift me lots of seeds. Another big issue has been birds or other critters eating the seeds. Even after nearly a decade of growing food, I am still learning the garden techniques and mistakes to never make again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment