Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Potato Harvest & other nature things of August

This garden year has been quite...lacking. I feel that I haven't been able to harvest a single thing from Spring to Summer. But! I finally harvested my potatoes...
Golden potato harvest from the garden. We've been eating on potatoes- making fried potatoes, smashed-baked potatoes and mashed potatoes.


I'm still crossing my fingers on the peppers to fruit. They are healthy looking plants with very minuscule fruits growing. My corn is a bust- but not a waste- I normally end up using my corn stalk for fall scenes, anyway. I've never had luck with the crop.

Alas, I've got some seeds down in the ground. I cleaned and tilled a spot that I had thr potatoes growing- and sowed lettuces, spinach, and peas. On the other side of the fencing, I have to transplant some broccoli plants I bought from the store.



I fenced around the garden because my grandma's cats are wreaking havoc again- she has about 20 of them at this very moment, so it's been a challenge with the garden this year, among a million other challenges.


My garden has shrunk since a few years has passed; but new adventures are to come...Sometimes, I think to myself- "I'm going to start a new blog- of foraging and small or big adventures, and travel"- and just forget about the domesticated life...live more nomadically... 

When you go on adventures- you get to find rare orchids in the foothills of Appalachia near a boggy area...


Fringed Orchid growing at a nearby pond. Fringed orchids apparently like it boggy. 

The path of orchids lead up to this pond with an inviting little dock...

And, it's always a good time to see some people from your past and chug a beer...

Drinking some kind of pickle juice hot sauce beer.

I like an adventure, but I like some routine too...i go to my grandma's and grandpa's about every Sundsy- admiring flowers...I took pictures of my grandma's flower garden...Her hibisci are ravishing.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment