Wednesday, January 7, 2015

What I'm growing Indoors in January

Growing food in January usually requires a greenhouse or growing indoors--especially for those who lives in colder climates. Weather in my area was mild, actually staying at 50-70 degrees throughout October to December. Today we experienced the coldest temperatures so far, dropping to 8 degrees. I remember last year around the end of November, James and I camped in a tent when it dropped to 7-9 degrees. We were lucky to not freeze to death because we had eight blankets on us.


January is a little too early for me to start any Vegetables indoors. Towards the end of February to beginning of March, I will be able to start Cabbage, Brussels, Cauliflower, and Celery, indoors to transplant in April. Then I will start Tomatoes, Peppers, and Melons indoors to transplant in May. All of these starter plants will be growing in my Mini Greenhouse. This one Mini Greenhouse will allow me to grow just the right amount of starters each month to grow year round.
Yesterday I posted a Garden calendar for all USDA gardening zones which may be of some use to you: Garden Calendar for ALL USDA ZONES 1-11 (When to grow different vegetables & Moon phases)

Of course I grow Aloe vera plants indoors throughout the winter; but since purchasing the Mini Greenhouse, I wanted to start Vegetables indoors and fruit trees from seeds. For example I germinated Lemon and Tangerine seeds, which you see sprouting in the first photo below. I am germinating Apple and Pear seeds but they have not sprouted.
I am also germinating Goji berry seeds, which I keep with the Lemon and Tangerine sprouts in the Mini Greenhouse. Another fruit I am growing in the Greenhouse is a Pineapple plant and small aloe plant. In a previous post, I describe the features (size/shape and where I purchased) the greenhouse and how many plants I can grow in it: Mini Greenhouse, what plants to start indoors, & Growing subtropicals in cold climate.


Tangerine & Lemon sprouts

Mini greenhouse growing Tangerine, Lemon, Goji berries, & Pineapple

Back in late November, I pruned limbs from one of my Pear trees, including my Peach trees. I kept the prunings in a bucket of rain water indoors for two months. A week ago, I dipped each pruning in rooting hormone and wrapped the Peach and Pear cuttings in wet newspaper, placing them in the refrigerator. This method is used to save Cuttings in order to propagate in the future (Spring or Summer). I described the process of Propagation and Re-growing food for free with cuttings in this post: . One of the Pear cuttings already sprouted leafs (or blooms), so I dipped the Cutting in rooting hormone, and placed in a pot of mulch. I am trying only to use Rain water on the plant. In the first photo below, you see the sprouted Pear cutting.






 The other day I purchased a Mint plant, which I wanted to grow in the Mini greenhouse, but I think I will keep the Mint with on a stand along with my Christmas Cactus and Aloe vera plants.


Mint

I will soon be transplanting each Tangerine, Lemon, and Goji berry sprout in a larger container. I will keep you updated on the progress as the Fruit trees grow larger into February. Then I will update you on the list of Vegetables I'm growing indoors/outdoors in March.




No comments:

Post a Comment