Friday, June 5, 2020

Overgrown garden & bountiful harvest of greens

I was away from my garden for one week and it was so overgrown. It was a complete disaster. If it wasn't raining, I would mow everything and weed.

The week that I was gone, I was on a much needed vacation. I have done nothing but work, volunteer and more work...so I drove 16 hours to Florida and back. 16 hours!! It was absolutely tiring and I never thought I'd make it back, but it was an accomplishment for sure. Here are some pictures of the flora and fauna from the trip that I was sure to capture...

Cacti and huge grasshopper


Homegrown florida mangoes were
delicious but stringy 

Boca Beach




After the trip, I moved into my new apartment so that was a feat in and of itself. So I am not just a walk outside to work on my garden anymore. I live closer to work. So I am only able to work a couple of hours at a time in the gardens before I have to drive back into town to go to my job.

I work Saturday as well and have a protest March during the day for support and solidarity. Then, Sunday, I have a family cookout as well, so I will not be working in the garden at all this weekend.
However, today I came by my old home garden and transplanted tomatoes and cleaned up around beds, and picked some lettuce. There are strawberries now too!






Dahlia that mom and I planted together 

My flower garden


My windowsill floral arrangments

With the other garden, I cannot till because of the rain. But, not only that, the belts have loosened so I had to buy new belts and I haven't put them on yet. The belt I bought yesterday was too short.

With that said, I still have not sowed beans! But...I was able to till in rows of cushaw, corn, cucumber and watermelon. Then I transplanted rows of tomatoes. I have cucumbers and potatoes growing in buckets and bags as well. Up at this garden, I have put together flower beds too.

I press on...if I can't get this tiller fixed, then I'll be breaking my back hoeing rows in hard ground to sow beans!

Decorating grandmas flower gardens 


2 comments:

  1. This is awesome! What area of the country do you live in? I live in South Florida starting a raised garden now, and I'm excited for what's to come.

    ReplyDelete