Thursday, September 24, 2015

Planting Greens for Fall garden

About a month ago, I planted lettuce, swiss chard, endive, carrots, radishes, peas, and arugula in the hugelkultur garden. Of course for the last month I have noticed foot prints, a rabbit droppings everywhere, and then finally I saw the peter cottontail running out of the garden the other day. So, I was wondering why all my plants were being eaten and the seeds were also being dug up.
Almost none of the thousand seeds I planted within the hugelkultur mounds have germinated and sprouted, so yesterday I hoed up a couple dirt mounds in the garden patch of the front yard. In this garden, I planted Lettuce, Endive, broccoli, and arugula. Off to the side of the mounds is a flat circular spot where I planted carrot and radish seed.
According to the Farmer's Almanac, Monday and Tuesday were good days for planting root crops (carrot, radish, parsnip, turnip) and above ground crops (leaf greens & green vegetables), so I did just that.


No comments:

Post a Comment