Sunday, May 11, 2014

May 11th, 2014 Garden update (Transplanting Cantaloupe & Squash)

Fortunately I started my melons indoors a month ago (around the beginning of April) so now that the weather is permitting, I was able to transplant 100 cantaloupe plants yesterday. I am sure (and hoping) that Eastern KY will not get a late Frost in the middle of May (or else a Frost may hurt my melons).

100 Cantaloupe transplants in 6 wide rows

Wide rows for growing melons

I will wait to put out my Watermelon plants because I have yet to hoe up a spot for them. But they are doing as far as size, as you can see below. Last month a man plowed a 50+ foot spot across the road from my Grandparent's, which I have designated for Watermelon and corn. I am not too keen that the spot is next to the road where hundreds of logging trucks drive by every week and the plants may be sucking up much of the pollution-- however it's fertile ground that is not being used for anything, and it's the only piece of property (at my Grandparent's) that gets the most sun. Hence the reason for designating the Watermelon and Corn plants in this location.

As mentioned in my last post, I transplanted 160 Zucchini and Yellow Squash plants (see below). The process took a little over 2 hours, but I was lucky to get them out before the rain. Now they are almost twice there size since I planted them three days ago. It will be raining here for the next week, so I expect the squash plants and Cantaloupe grow much bigger. I may see some cucumbers sprouting during this time. Not only should my Cucumbers be sprouting, also should my Pumpkin, Cushaw, and Butternut Squash plants.


160 Zucchini & Yellow Squash transplants

Zucchini sprout

Of course my lettuce, kale, spinach, peas, and potatoes have been in the ground for a month so they are responding well to this warm and rainy weather.


Have a beautiful Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment