Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Honeysuckle jelly + vertical trellis hugelkultur garden & More potatoes in growbags

This past week has been very aromatic outside with the honeysuckles blooming. When the wind blows, the scent is carried all over the yard, especially after a rain it is quite a lovely feeling. Because I have lots of honeysuckle growing all over the yard, I wanted to try making the jelly for the first time. I used a recipe I found at Taylor Made Homesteading which goes as follows: Honeysuckle jelly made with 4 cups of petals without green stem or leafs. First boil 4 cups of water and take off of heat when it begins to boil. Then add the petals to steep for 45 minutes with a lid. After 45 minutes, strain the petals from the liquid. With 2 cups of the remaining liquid, boil with 4 cups of sugar (according to the recipe here) but I only used 2 1/2 cups of sugar with 1/4 cup of lemon juice. Let boil and stir to dissolve the sugar, then add 1 package of liquid pectin and stir for a remaining 2 minutes. Then can the ingredients as you usually would jellies and jams. This recipe made 4 half pints for me. I make sure to sterilize the rings and jars and new lids, then fill a pot with 1 inch of water and put the honeysuckle liquid in the jars and seal the jars with the lids. Boil the jars in the water for 5 minutes, and afterwards let cool on a towel.

Other things I have been working on in the last few days is sewing more potato grow bags. I believe there were 10 bags already sewn that James put together, and with those and 8 that I sewed myself, I end up gluing 18 bags and filling them with compost to plant potatoes. Also, I sewed some carrot seed within the potatoes. The potato grow bags in previous pictures were placed at my grandparents' house, and I figured with these I would place the grow bags at my house so I could distribute the compost around the garden here.

The potatoes at my grandparents' is looking tall and healthy.

With the compost, I spread on two flower beds, in the potato grow bags, around the fruiting blueberry bushes, and spread a thin layer on the squash/zucchini, cucumber, leafy green, and melon/squash hugelkultur mounds.

Additionally, I dug holes for tomato transplants and filled the holes with compost and posted the tomatoes with tobacco sticks.

In another location I dug holes and filled with compost to sew more melon seeds tomorrow.

Also today I put up fencing in three rows of the garden to trellis the cucumbers, melons, pumpkins, and artichoke. 

And of course, I got another radish harvest...

No comments:

Post a Comment