Sunday, March 8, 2020

Making a Compost bin and flower bed

According to the Farmer's almanac, the next couple of days are barren periods, so I have been cutting back brush, cleaning and doing general garden prepping tasks.

Yesterday, I put together a compost bin out of pallets. This is a small structure but it will be good for keeping the compost aerated.



The soil underneath the previous compost pile looks very rich. As you can see, the soil is nearly black, full of nutrients.



Additionally, I tilled the garden in the front yard. Last year I had squash and corn growing here, and this year I will be sowing flower and herb seed. I have always wanted a big herb and wildflower garden here, so I am doing just that! Today I tilled here and hoed rows, and covered the area with clear plastic. All I have left to do now is sow the seeds but I'm waiting till tuesday morning. According to the almanac, tuesday till Thursday is the best days for planting so I'm going to stick this schedule.


I'll be planting here herbs such as Dill, hyssop, fennel, oregano, thyme, sage, rosemary, and summer savory. Then I have 4 boxes of wildflower seed mixes and one EZ strawbale full of 40,000 wildflower seeds. If I don't have flowers and herbs growing here this summer, then I did something wrong, because I'm sowing so many seeds to the point at least SOME will have to grow!

Don't think I have forgotten the tomatoes and peppers! I have them germinating and seeding trays indoors under grow lights. The last couple of days have been warm and sunny on the porch, so I have put the trays outdoors until the shade falls on the porch. To save on electric, I have put the trays on my dresser next to a warm, sunny window as well. The peppers have not made their move, neither have the beefsteak or Blavk Krims but the Red Cherry tomatoes have germinated and they will hopefully be transplanted out by May!



No comments:

Post a Comment