Friday, February 13, 2015

10 Hugelkultur mounds (Garden update)

Slowly but surely I have been completing each Hugelkultur mound. I mentioned in the post January -February Garden tasks, that we will have a total of 10 Hugelkultur mounds. In the post you could see I had not added the black mulch to three of the beds, which you can see in the pictures below. Many months ago I worked on the Hugelkultur bed in front of the house (see below). This mound will be dedicated to Pumpkins.
hugelkultur before and after


Four mounds are finished and dressed with black mulch on top of the mound of logs/sticks/leaves/dirt. Of the remaining six that need completed, two are large Hugelkultur mounds we refer to as Swales. In the first photo shows the first Swale which is over 2 feet tall with large logs, twigs, leaves, and dirt. The other Swale was recently started by James which you can see in the second and third photo below.
The other Hugel mounds need soil added and two require additional twigs/leaves, then I will add dirt/mulch on top.









For the full tour of the Hugelkultur mounds, watch the video below: here:


The weather forecast predicted it would be in the single digits all week, so I will not be getting mulch or working outside until the end of February. I will continue to update what I have accomplished in the garden.
Already, I have cabbage sprouting in my greenhouse that will be ready to transplant towards the middle of March, when I will also directly sow Kale, Lettuce, Carrots, Beets, Potatoes, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment