Saturday, October 10, 2015

Harvesting Figs in October (Zone 6)

If you have been keeping up with my posts, you have seen the many figs I have been harvesting from the trees. For the last month I have been picking a couple of figs per week. It wasn't until July and August that the figs started to form on the trees. But I noticed that the figs would be little greens nubs one day, and then they would be big, plump, luscious purple fruits the next day! Of course the Figs taste excellent, what I would describe as a mix between Peaches, Plums, and Apricot jam.
If I recall correctly, it was near November when caged, mulched, and covered the fig trees. Now that we are approaching mid-October, and the nights are getting down in the 40s, I am sure the figs will stop producing and ripening at all. I may attempt to keep them warm by wrapping them in garden canvas at night. But in the following weeks, I will need to prepare to overwinter the fig trees.

Here are some of the figs I harvested today.


No comments:

Post a Comment