Friday, April 14, 2017

Potatoes planted in handmade grow bags


For the first week we kept a plastic sheet over top of the potatoes and secured the plastic with rebar and rocks to hold in place. Now that this week is going to be in the 80s, I uncovered the potatoes that are growing in these hand made bags my partner made. My partner stitched the bags and I glued the bottoms, then we shoveled compost into each bag, and then planted on average 3 potatoes per bag. I believe there are 20 bags here.
We have more potatoes chitting under a grow light and laying out on cardboard underneath the lights. This chitting process helps the potatoes to begin to spud and we will either plant the remaining potatoes in grow bags or tilled up an area in the garden to sow them in a mound.

No comments:

Post a Comment